Trail running has a special place in the hearts of Like the Wind: as some of you might already know, the idea for the magazine was conceived on the trails in the Alps. And so when Thames & Hudson approached us about creating Running Wild – a trail running book with a focus on storytelling, visual inspiration and a splash of practical information about the wilder parts of the planet – we jumped at the chance.
As renowned American ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes writes in the foreword: “Surrounded by towering peaks, spellbound by magnificent vistas, enraptured by the natural world’s stunning beauty, we melt into the landscape and become one with something grander.” That is what we have strived to capture in Running Wild.
In Running Wild, we present 16 of the finest trail-running locations around the world, with options for all levels of experience.
You’ll discover those places through the words of 16 local guides, who each run you through their favourite routes.
Our guides include Lizzy Hawker, who takes us high above Kathmandu in Nepal, Rob Krar who guides us through his backyard trails in Sedona and Flagstaff, USA and Hilary Matheson, suggesting some beautiful routes in British Columbia, Canada. You can find the full list of guides and locations below.
Alongside the guide’s words, the chapters are illustrated with over 200 photographs and illustrations, by award-winning photographers including:
- Alexis Berg
- Andrés Figueroa
- Daniel Amazán Klinckwort
- Ana Laframboise
- James Q. Martin
- Brian Nevins
- Chris Ord
- Melissa & Guy Overney Burnier
- Damien Rosso
- Chris Shane
- Reuben Tabner
- Alex Treadway
Guides and locations:
- George Bauer: Inverie & The Knoydart Peninsula – Scotland
- Stefanie Bishop: The White Mountains – USA
- Jenna Crawford: Patagonia – Chile
- Julie Freeman: Jura – Switzerland
- Simon Freeman: The Chamonix Valley – France
- Anna Gatta: The Kungsleden – Sweden
- David Grazielli: The Dolomites – Italy
- Lizzy Hawker: Great Himalaya Trail – Nepal
- Linda Helland: The Loften Islands – Norway
- Rob Krar: Sedona & Flagstaff – USA
- Emma Latham Phillips: Sierra Norte de Oaxaca – Mexico
- Tom Le Lievre: The West MacDonnell Ranges – Northern Territory
- Ricky Lightfoot: The Lake District – England
- Hilary Matheson: British Columbia – Canada
- Tobias Mews: The Pyrenees – France/Spain
- Guillaume Peretti: Corsica – France